Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Boy Who Almost Wasn't


Today Bradley saw his Gastro.
While we waited there was a girl who was in a special wheel chair.
She looked like she had cerebralpalsy.
Her mother was talking to her.
The girl couldn't talk or walk.
She had a g-tube, a colostomy bag, and a tracheotomy, from what I could tell.
The mother looked exhausted and stressed.
I could sympathize.
I wanted to tell the mother that she was SO lucky to be given a special spirit.
But I was choking on my tears, so I couldn't.



I JUST KEPT THINKING ABOUT HOW LUCKY BRADLEY AND I WERE!
He has been through the wringer and you CANNOT tell.



The power of the priesthood, fasting and prayer is real!
And we have been blessed.
And I also know that it has been God's will that
Bradley AND the girl in the special chair are the way that they are.




The gastro ordered to repeat the swallow study.
I'm quite excited about it!



And
We talked about Bradley's only diagnosis being hypo parathyroid
AND
how Bradley's primary Pediatrician doesn't think Bradley has a genetic syndrome,
and
how he would know because he used to be a geneticist.

I told the gastro that Bradley's Ped has NEVER had a patient with a hypo parathyroid before.
Bradley's Gastro said he's never had one either; EVER!
That hypo parathyroid is something he learned about in medical school, but never something he's seen.


 I asked the gastro if WHEN the human body starts to shut down,
if it will start aspirating liquids.
He said it can.

I wanted to know if he thought that babies with
 hypoparathyroid were rare because the usually die.
He said, "YES, and it's probably blamed on SIDS"

I said "If we had been 12 hours later to the hospital Bradley would have died."
He said "Yes."


BRADLEY WAS IN ROUGH SHAPE WHEN HE WAS ADMITTED.
AND FOR TWO DAYS WE THOUGHT HE MIGHT.
I'm hoping that's the reason why he started aspirating.


I am not a doctor, but I'm hopeful that all of this is possible.
AND THE FACT THAT HE has LIVED
AND DOESN'T HAVE SEVERE DAMAGE FROM ANY OF THIS
is nothing short of a miracle.


P.S. I hope that the geneticist laughs at us and tells us to all go home when we DO see her.



P.P.S. A girl can hope, right?





P.P.P.S. With what we've lived through, anything is possible!